By the 1880s and 1890s, row house design on Capitol Hill exhibited the fashionable Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival styles, taking full advantage of the city’s Projection Act of 1871. Flat fronts gave way to projecting bays, towers, and porches all protruding over the building line. Building facades became increasingly ornamental with an array of different and intricate brickwork designs, terra cotta decoration, and often included stained glass window and door transoms. Many of these row houses are the works of prominent local architects such as Thomas Franklin Schneider, Appleton P. Clark, Nicholas T. Haller, and Clement A. Didden.
Nicholas T. Haller, (1855 -1917) architect, designed several notable buildings in Washington: the Warder Building (527 9th Street, six stories, brick with arcaded base, horizontally banded upper floors, Romanesque Revival detail, 1892), an early elevator building for B.H. Warder, a wealthy Ohio manufacturer of farm implements, who moved to Washington to invest in real estate; intended for use as offices, apartments, and stores.). Haller also designed many row houses for many different owners across the city, including in LeDroit Park between 1884 and 1896.