Holy Trinity Church, established in 1787, is now 3513 N Street NW. It was originally called "Georgetown Chapel" because of the uncertainty of the laws against erecting Catholic churches. It was founded by Archbishop John Carroll, the first Catholic bishop in America and a cousin of Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. In addition to Carroll, the church had four lay trustees, Adam King, George King, George Fenwick and James Simpson. This church faced south and included a bell tower. During the early years it primarily served the growing Catholic population of Georgetown and the students of Georgetown College (now University).
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
within Georgetown HD