Traditionally the house is said to have been built by Washington Lewis, George Washington's nephew. A deed search and a review of assessment re cords yield no evidence to verify ownership by Washington Lewis. In 1830 a neighboring lot was assessed to him. City directories list him as living elsewhere in 1822, 1830, and 1834. City directories for 1822 and 1830 list Edward Simon Lewis, a clerk in the third auditor's office on the first floor of the navy department, as living on N Street at Greenleaffs Point. It can be assumed that he was living in the house and that it was definitely erected prior to 1822. A search of George Washington's genealogy does not yield any relationship between him and Edward S. Lewis.
The Lewis House, probably erected in 1817, is a 2-1/2 story, three-bay-wide brick building with full basement. Front (north) walls are laid in Flemish bond above the line of the first floor. The gable roof covered with tin with standing seams is broken by two dormers with elliptical pediments on the north and two similar dormers on the south. These dormers were rebuilt in 1964-66 when a shed dormer connecting the dormers of the north facade was removed. The large brick chimney at the west was also rebuilt in 1964-66.
The house was one of the few buildings spared during urban renewal clearance in southwest in the late 1950's and early 1960's. At that time the houses attached to the east and west sides of the Lewis House were demolished. Today the early nineteenth century Federal style house is part of Harbour Square Co-Operative Apartments, and townhouses built in 1964-66 are attached at the east and west.
Built c. 1815; renovated 1966
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: July 23, 1973