The 3-acre Kalorama Park contains the Kalorama Playground Archaeological Site, also known as the John Little House. The site represents the remains of John Little’s home and farm and is the place from which slave Hortense Prout attempted escape during the Civil War. The site’s period of significance extends through the Little family tenure of the property – from 1836 until 1903. The Little house, constructed in the 1830s, was demolished in the 20th century prior to the establishment of the park. Kalorama Park was created from two parcels acquired for park use in 1942 and 1946, respectively. The current layout of the upper portion of the park and the design of the recreation building (east side) were designed and built by the National Park Service (NPS) and D.C. Recreation Board in 1947. The design remains fairly intact today, although the current plaza area was originally slated as a spray park and shuffleboard courts were proposed at the southeast corner. It is not known if either of these amenities was ever realized. In 1971, NPS transferred jurisdiction of the park to the city, at which time improvements were made to the lower portion, primarily in the area of the basketball and tennis court.
DC Inventory: 2015
National Register: 2016