Sedgwick Gardens

Sedgwick Gardens designed by Mihran Mesrobian in 1931 for Max Gorin, president of the Southern Construction Company, is a significant Art Deco building.

The building is constructed of red brick with horizontal bands of white brick ornamenting the facade and giving it an Art Deco appearance. The highly decorated copper roof crowning the central tower accentuates the focal point of the complex. Copper is also used on the opalescent lamps and fan motif below in the porte cochere. Wrought iron railings along the roof-line parapet add yet another decorative touch and provide variety as they alternate with the pinnacle stone panels which pierce the skyline.

The interior is also very elaborate. The lobby itself cost about half a million dollars. More than two dozen pillars were specially imported from Italy. Each was individually hand painted, glazed and baked. In the center was a marble fountain stocked with shimmering goldfish. The reception desk and the lobby furniture was Grafted from expensive dark stained wood.

All of Sedgwick Gardens' 116 units have sun porches and bay windows. Two baths, considered an incredible luxury during the 30's, were included in the larger apartments. Promotional brochures advertised the buildings's air conditioning unit, a complex cooling system which used pumps to circulate water through the building to carry unwanted August heat up and out through the roof." Sedgwick Gardens with its Byzantine and Moorish influence combined with Art Deco motifs provides a transition from the medieval revival styles of the 1920's represented by Tilden Gardens and the Broadmoor to the more explicitly Art Deco buildings of the 1930s represented by the Uptown Theater and the Macklin Apartments in Cleveland Park.

Added to NRHP: February 23, 2016
Designated Contributing Property: April 27, 1987
DC Inventory: May 28, 2015

Images

Map

3726 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008