Designed in the Italian Renaissance style by the locally significant architect Luther Leisenring and his partner Charles Gregg, the firehouse became an established landmark in the local neighborhood of Petworth. As the first fully-motorized fire company in D.C. history, Engine Company No. 24 is also associated with technological advancements which would change fire fighting and fire house design forever. Built to house horses and horse-drawn equipment, the station was stripped of its horse-related equipment within a year of its construction. Two new motorized engines were brought into the station in the fall of 1912, heralding the end of the era of the horse in the District of Columbia Fire Department. The fire house continues to serve the local community today.
National Register of Historic Places: June 27, 2007