The Denrike Building is an 11-story office building designed by architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr. in a Tudor Gothic Revial style and built in 1925-26. Located just north of McPherson Square in what was historically considered the northern limit of the city’s financial district, the Denrike Building is composed of the traditional early 20th century three-part commercial block of base, middle and top. The concrete-frame, limestone-clad building is rectangular in plan, is covered with a flat slag roof, and is characterized by its distinctive Tudor Gothic style detailing concentrated on the building’s façade at its base and top. The building is divided into six equal bays whereby each bay of the building’s “shaft” includes pairs of single windows. The vertical bays are separated by pilasters with Tudor Gothic detailing, while the individual floor levels are separated horizontally by limestone spandrels, the four center bays of which are decorated with recessed panels in the spandrels.
Designed by notable local architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr., the Denrike Building is executed in a Tudor Gothic Revival style of architecture, a style rare for this city’s commercial building fabric. As one of a collection of 1920s office buildings and financial institutions surrounding McPherson Square, the Denrike Building represents the northernmost edge of the city’s financial district as it spread north from lower 15th Street around the Treasury Building to McPherson Square. The Denrike Building replaced the 19th century residence of former House Speaker Joseph Cannon (House Speaker from 1903-1911) on the site. The Denrike Building is illustrative of the wave of 20th century commercial development that replaced older and well established residential building stock in the city’s downtown that had, during the 19th century, been home to the city’s most prominent and affluent residents.
National Register: June 30, 2016
DC Inventory: June 23, 2016