Located at 3400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, the Heurich-Parks House is a detached, two-story, compound-plan residence that was initially constructed in 1925, and is characteristic of both the Mission and Spanish Revival architectural styles. The house rests on a concrete foundation, is clad in stucco, and is covered by a tile cross-hipped roof with overhanging eaves. The front elevation of the house faces northeast, and features a Mission-style shaped parapet. Occupying Lots 9 and 10 of the Massachusetts Avenue Heights subdivision, and located in Square 1937, the house originally was constructed as a single, L-plan main block, and has been enlarged by additions in 1938 and 1960. The 1938 additions consist of a pair of two-story, rectangular-plan, stucco-clad, hipped-roof wings that extend to the west and south of the main block. The 1960 addition is a one-story, stucco-clad, five-bay, irregular-plan wing with a flat roof that extends from the northwest elevation of the western 1938 addition. A one-story one-bay sun room, original to the house, extends to the southeast. This sun room features a graceful shaped parapet and is capped by a standing-seam metal shed roof. A rectangular concrete terrace extends from the rear of the house. The house also has two stucco-clad chimneys: a central interior chimney, and an exterior end chimney that rises from the southeast (side) elevation of the original house. Both feature terra cotta chimney pots, and an ornamental wrought-iron letter “P,” which was likely was added by former-owner Dr. Marshall Parks.
The house at 3400 Massachusetts Avenue was constructed in 1925 for the family of Christian Heurich Jr., son of the well-known Washington brewer. The New York interior design firm of H.F. Huber & Company was ostensibly responsible for the design, with the assistance of local architect Albert S.J. Atkinson. It was the second building on the parcel, as previous owner William H. West had erected a one-story, structural-tile garage near the west property line in 1923. The Heurichs added an apartment atop the garage in 1948.
Its exterior elements, including its tile roof, asymmetrical massing, exterior stucco finish, shaped parapets, and elaborate entry, embody the distinguishing characteristics of the Mission (1890-1920) and Spanish Revival (1915-1940) styles, and reflect an overlapping of these two movements. Its construction also reflects a period of residential development that occurred along Massachusetts Avenue, NW between 1870 and 1930. Christian Heurich, Jr. turned to the reputable design firm of H. F. Huber and Company, who likely developed the overall creative and stylistic approach for the house and its interior. Based in New York, H. F. Huber, an international interior decorating, fine art, and real estate firm, is best known for its interior work on the Stan Hywet Hall, a National Historic Landmark located in Akron, Ohio. Primary source evidence suggests that Huber likely contracted Washington architect Albert S. J. Atkinson to design the house at 3400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
National Register: October 13, 2015
DC Inventory: August 21, 2015