The playground, established in 1922, was designated for the archaeologically documented evidence of prehistoric Indian occupation over thousands of years, and for its significance as a 1930s park design, produced by the National Park Service with funding from the Public Works Administration. Its Colonial Revival field house, opened in 1936, is one of few examples from that era.
The building was constructed all at one time, despite its tripartite composition of porch front building on the east (similar to other recreation centers of the 1930s), taller auditorium in the center, and small office ell on the west. The location and orientation of the building and original park amenities were dictated by the overlook, which also informed the building’s rear terrace design.
Nominated by Historic Washington Architecture and designated April 28, 2016