Emory Methodist Church, located at 6100 Georgia Avenue NW, is a granite Classical Revival style church with terra cotta trim featuring a classically-accented portico supported by four massive Doric columns. Prominently situated atop a hill, the church overlooks the surrounding neighborhoods of Brightwood and Manor Park.
The church site currently contains three structures. The church with its attached Sunday School Annex is the southernmost building on the site. A concrete block garage stands adjacent to the alley at the rear of a large asphalt parking lot to the church’s north. An early twentieth century foursquare house at 6120 Georgia Avenue, known as the Osborn House after the congregant who once owned it, occupies the north side of the site.
The church has had a long history on the site dating back to 1832 and is closely associated with the settlement and growth of the Brightwood community over a span of over one hundred eighty years. It played a pivotal role in the Civil War, becoming the focal point of the only Civil War battle to take place in the District of Columbia and the location where President Lincoln famously came under fire as he viewed the progress of the battle—the only time a sitting president has ever come under fire in battle.
Uniquely sited on the crest of a hill at the top of a monumental winding stone staircase, the elegantly fashioned Classical Revival church’s most striking features include its pediment portico, dentiled cornice and frieze, massive Doric columns, granite walls, and terracotta trim. These features reflect the mature work of a highly successful and prolific local architecture firm, Milburn, Heister & Company, which designed
many important institutional buildings in the city in the early decades of the twentieth century, of which relatively few have survived.
DC Inventory: February 12, 2014
National Register: August 28, 2015