In 1879, Mary Baker Eddy founded the Christian Science church, and it quickly spread to DC in 1895. After hosting their religious services in members’ homes and other denominations’ churches, the congregation decided to construct its own building.…

Hillcrest/National Presbyterian Church reflects the merging of two early 20th century Washington institutions into the current historic properties of The Washington City Orphan Asylum (Hillcrest Children’s Center) and the National Presbyterian…

Saint Phillip’s Baptist Church has stood on the corner of North Capitol and K Street, NE since its dedication in 1892.  With its deep red brick façade, brownstone trim, and pitched gable roof, the Church is reminiscent of Queen Anne styled…

Organized in 1845 in the basement of St. Matthew's Church, St. Mary's parish was formed to serve the influx of German Catholic immigrants settling in Washington at the time. Initially located at 15th and H Streets NW, the German Catholic community…

When it was constructed, the Park View Christian Church made church services more accessible to residents of the then-rural parts of D.C., enhancing the sense of community in the newly-developing Park View neighborhood. While a smaller chapel had…

Known as “Little Ebenezer” in the mid-19th century, the Ebenezer United Methodist Church became one of the first African American congregations on Capitol Hill and the first public school in DC open to African American children. The congregation…