Georgetown University's Greek Revival astronomical observatory is located on a knoll in the southwest corner of the campus, south of Kehoe Field and north of McDonough Memorial Gym. The observatory is the third oldest in the United States. It was…

Named for Patrick Francis Healy, then the President of Georgetown University, Healy Hall began construction in November 1877 and was largely finished by 1879. Reverend Healy consulted with a number of prominent architects, but decided to select the…

The Washington Canoe Club, constructed in 1905 for the newly founded club of the same name, is an excellent example of shingle style architecture. The two-story frame building faces south onto the Potomac River and is designed to be seen from the…

The John Walker House contributes significantly to the cultural heritage and visual beauty of the District of Columbia. The house has long been known as the Gannt-Williams House and its date of construction initially thought to be circa 1805, but…

When Alexander Graham Bell received his first telephone patent in 1876, the device was still something of a curiosity. Within two years, though, the first telephone exchanges were opening as the device caught on. Bell, newly famous, moved to DC in…

While the Vigilant Fire House was built in 1844, the "Vigilant" was the first, private fire company founded in Georgetown in 1817. At that time, membership to a fire company was a minor social distinction and included fierce competition between the…

The Van Ness Mausoleum, designed by George Hadfield circa 1833, stands on a high knoll on one of the terraced hills of Georgetown's Oak Hill Cemetery. The Mausoleum was made as the family mausoleum for John Peter Van Ness; his wife, Marcia Burnes…

Tudor Place is among the foremost Federal-era mansions in the nation, designed by William Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol. The house's owner, Thomas Peter, and his wife, Martha Parke Custis Peter, had significant connections to the…

This row of six Federal-style townhouses is among the most handsome examples of unified residential architecture in Georgetown. The buildings were constructed in 1815 by brothers Clement and Walter Smith.DC Inventory: November 8, 1964Within…

Built in the mid-19th century, the Scott-Grant House's main historical significance derives from its New Deal occupants and its earlier rentals by Generals Ulysses S. Grant and Henry Halleck. It is commonly accepted, but undocumented, that Grant…