Cloverdale (Pierce Shoemaker House)

Cloverdale, also known as the Pierce Shoemaker House, was built around 1810 in a prestigious residential area of the city.

Built around 1810, Cloverdale and its outbuildings are significant as an example of a large, suburban residential complex in early residential DC. The site has historical associations with Isaac Peirce, the early-19th-century settler and major property owner who developed and owned the surviving nearby Peirce Mill on Rock Creek. His original house, built around 1800, was reportedly located on this property. Isaac Peirce died in 1841, leaving the bulk of his estate to his son, Abner. Upon Abner's death in 1851, the property passed on to his nephew, Pierce Shoemaker, who built the 1876 house to replace the Isaac Peirce house.

The main house and six outbuildings remain in excellent condition. The house was remodeled in 1876 and again in 1910.

DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register:
August 9, 1990



2600 Tilden Street, NW