In 1935, the Federal Reserve Board held a national competition to select an architect who would design their new Washington, DC headquarters. The ultimate winner was the prominent Paul Philippe Cret, who was known for his design of the Pan American Union Headquarters building (1908) and the Folger Shakespeare Library (1929), amongst many other buildings.
Construction on the building began in 1935 and concluded in 1937, and resulted in a modern, four-story Classical style design with a marble exterior. It diverged from traditional architectural styles in the District and set the tone for future building designs in the city. The façade includes a distinctive marble eagle perched above the Constitution Avenue entryway.
In 1982, an act of Congress officially renamed the building after Marriner S. Eccles, a Federal Reserve Board Chairman who served from 1934 to 1948.
The building remains the headquarters of the Federal Reserve Board.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)