Built in 1878 for banker Charles Carroll Glover, this large Victorian townhouse was designated as a National Historic Landmark due to its association with the American Peace Society, which used the building as its national headquarters from 1911 to 1948. The American Peace Society was one of the United States' first expressly pacifist organizations, arising out of many smaller peace societies that were founded across the country in the early 19th century. The oldest of these original local groups, the New York Peace Society, dates back to 1815, and the American Peace Society was founded when these groups merged in 1828.
In the decades after the American Peace Society moved out of the building, the house became the offices of the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission in the 1970s, and alterations were made to the building in order to better suit its new purpose. In more recent years, the block of rowhouses that includes the American Peace Society house has come under the ownership of the federal government.
DC Inventory: March 3, 1979
National Register: September 13, 1974
National Historic Landmark: May 30, 1974
Within Lafayette Square Historic District
This site is included in the Women's Suffrage in Washington DC tour for its role as the headquarters of Women's City Club, a group that supported DC suffrage movements.