Duncanson-Cranch House (Barney Neighborhood House)

The symmetrical brick Federal period double house was built as a unit and its design is attributed to William Lovering, an architect-builder.

Constructed around 1794, the Duncanson-Cranch House has vernacular characteristics typical of early domestic architecture in DC. Along with Wheat Row and the Edward Simon Lewis House, it was one of the few buildings to survive the nearly total clearance of Square 503 in Southwest between 1964 and 1966, 

Rehabilitated during the years of urban renewal in Southwest, the Duncanson-Cranch House continues to function as housing, now within Chloethiel Woodard Smith's Harbour Square development.

DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: July 26, 1973

Images

Map

468‑470 N Street, SW