The East Capitol Street Car Barn building, designed by Waddy B. Wood, was erected as a car barn, repair shop, and administrative offices for the Metropolitan Railroad Company in 1896. It is an architecturally imposing structure representing three important stages in the history of the rapid transit system: the electrification of Washington streetcars and the final replacement of horse-drawn cars in the 1890s, the consolidation of streetcar lines into a functional network in the early 20th century, and the gradual replacement of the streetcar by the bus in the first half of the 20th century.
This red brick structure with Romanesque Revival detailing occupies almost an entire block in northeast Washington. It has two main sections: a narrow office block and an attached car house consisting of three sheds.
DC Inventory: March 27, 1973 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: February 5, 1974