Constructed between 1898 and 1900, the Evening Star Building is notable for its association with the Evening Star Newspaper Company, which occupied the building from 1900 to 1959. The paper’s tenancy in this building largely coincided with its greatest period of growth and prominence.
The building is an excellent example of Beaux Arts architecture, designed by the noted architectural firm Marsh & Peter. Designed to be impressive and palatial, the white marble structure stood out among the buildings that housed the Evening Star's competitors as a beautiful, modern landmark.
The Evening Star offices moved to a more utilitarian building in Southeast Washington in 1959, a move that echoed the paper’s fall from prominence. After years of declining advertising revenue and financial struggle, the paper finally shuttered in 1981. Currently, the building houses a restaurant and a fitness center.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
Within Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site