Foggy Bottom Historic District is a primarily residential area with portions of remaining 19th-century dwellings that reflect their origins in the working class residential community of that time. Except for a single alley warehouse and a few structures built as corner stores, only rowhouses survive. They form a cohesive neighborhood of modest dwellings, built in a limited range of materials and styles. The modest styling and ornamentation reflects the limited circumstances of their 19th-century occupants.
The buildings in the district date primarily from the late 1870s to the first decade of the twentieth century and reflect the stages of the neighborhood's development. The earliest buildings are individually constructed rowhouses that were built for their original owner. Notable among these is a group of four brick buildings along 25th Street and the adjacent frame house at the corner of 25th and Eye, which may have been associated with the underground railroad.
Foggy Bottom Historic District is significant for its association with Washington's early working class, its geographic and sociological relationship with one of Washington's early industrial areas, its status as one of the few remaining neighborhoods associated with European immigrants and the value of its architecture as a guide to the lives of its residents. The district contains approximately 135 buildings, dating from about 1860 to 1915.
DC Inventory: October 15, 1986 (effective October 13, 1987)
National Register: October 14, 1987