The Forrest-Marbury House is the District's only building whose documented history is intertwined with the founding of the national capital. It was in this house that George Washington dined with the District Commissioners and others on the day in" March 1791 when Washington and the local proprietors reached the agreement which established the Federal City's approximate boundaries and arrived at a formula for dividing the land between the Government and the proprietors.
The house served as the residence of Uriah Forrest in the 1790's, and John Marbury, the plaintiff in Marbury vs. Madison, in the nineteenth century. Although the Forrest-Marbury House has been altered and enlarged since its construction as a 2-1/2 story Federal-style townhouse, documentary and physical evidence of the original structure is sufficient to permit satisfactory restoration.
The Forrest-Marbury House was constructed sometime between 1788 and 1790 when the property was owned by Benjamin Stoddert. Uriah Forrest, Stoddert's business partner, inhabited the house in the' early 1790's. The Forrest-Marbury House is located on the western end of M Street, N.W. near the access ramp to the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The house is flush with the street, but does contain a small rear yard. The land slopes substantially to the rear, but, if the lean-to were removed and the present yard retained, the resulting space could accommodate a small garden. The house, as stated above, still retains much of its original scale and character, and this, together with ample documentation and a thorough archaeological examination, should provide sufficient information to permit a satisfactory restoration.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register listing July 2, 1973
Within Georgetown HD