Charles C. Glover, a former Riggs Bank executive, and Anne Archbold, an heiress of Standard Oil of New Jersey, donated Glover-Archbold Park’s 221.62 acres to Washington, D.C., in 1924 to be used as a bird sanctuary. The park itself is composed of two reservation properties in Northwest Washington (between Wisconsin Avenue and Foxhall Road) that contain a variety of trail paths, tree types, and bird species.
As a largely undeveloped landscape maintained as a natural space, very few structures or cultural resources remain inside the park itself. Those that remain include an early 20th century granite spring house owned by Charles Glover, an elevated trolley trestle, and a large stone culvert—all of which are contributing structures.
Today, the park is utilized for simple recreational purposes, such as hiking and walking. Biking is not allowed in the park as the trails are all dirt and prone to deterioration.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: January 16, 2007