Dedicated in 1877, this bronze equestrian memorial honors Major General Nathanael Greene, a Revolutionary War general and commander of the Southern Department of the Continental Army. Greene sits erect upon his horse, holding the reins in his left hand while turning his face directly out to the side. His right arm extends straight before him, as if pointing to the enemy. Standing 13 feet in height, the statue was sculpted by Henry Kirke Brown and was commissioned and paid for by Congress. The statue is currently owned by the National Park Service.
Greene, a native of Rhode Island, succeeded General Horatio Gates as commander of the Southern Department of the Continental Army and drove the British forces from Georgia and the Carolinas in 1782. He was widely regarded by his contemporaries as the Continental Army's second-best general, after only George Washington.