Established in 1889, the stock brokerage firm W. B. Hibbs & Co. was the only member of the New York Stock Exchange headquartered in DC at the time. By 1908, W. B. Hibbs & Co. moved into this new office space. Architects Jules Henri de Sibour (1872-1938) and Bruce Price (1845-1903) designed the building in the Beaux Arts style. The Beaux Arts style is closely tied to the era’s popular City Beautiful Movement, which promoted harmonious social order through urban beautification. Although the building has since undergone a series of modernizing renovations, the exterior facade and many interior features have been well preserved over the years.
The organization continued to operate under the name W. B. Hibbs & Co. until 1953, when the firm merged with Folger, Nolan & Co. At the time of the merger, Folger, Nolan & Co. operated out of the American Security & Trust Building across the street. In 1989, the merged firms, now known as Folger Nolan Fleming Douglas Inc., celebrated their 100th anniversary. The firm still occupies the building to this day.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: March 19, 1991