Designed by the architectural firm Carrère and Hastings, the ten-story, Beaux-Arts hotel is the only commercial building designed by the New York firm in Washington, DC. Completed in 1918, Hotel Washington’s facade features cream colored sgraffito decoration on a reddish-brown ground. The hotel can be seen in the films “Contact” and “The Firm,” and its roof terrace was also featured in “The Godfather: Part II” and “No Way Out.”
Following an extensive renovation by Nakheel Properties, the owner of the building at the time, the 317-room hotel reopened in 2008 as a W Hotel, a Marriott brand. Following another renovation in the late-2010s, it is now called the Hotel Washington, once again.
DC Inventory: August 28, 1973 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 30, 1995