General Oliver Otis Howard House
Built in 1867, this building is the sole survivor of the four original structures that comprised early Howard University.
The General Oliver Otis Howard House (1830-1909), today known as Howard Hall, was one of four early campus buildings at Howard University and the only one to survive to the present. Built in 1867, it was the home of General Oliver Otis Howard, the university’s founder and third president. The house is a two-and-a-half story painted brick building with a mansard roof. A three-story tower projects from the southwest corner, rising to a low balustrade surrounding a mansard roof, which is crowned by iron cresting.
Howard University was founded in 1866 to admit students regardless of sex or color, but with a special commitment to the education of Black children. As such, this building symbolizes a dedication to making higher education accessible and available to all. It represents Howard’s history as a center of higher education and its exceptional role in preparing Black professionals in law, medicine, engineering, teaching, the ministry, and other fields.
DC Inventory: July 24, 1973 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: February 12, 1974
National Historic Landmark: May 30, 1974