From 1910 until 1948, this townhouse served as the home of the the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, an organization founded with a $10 million bequest from Andrew Carnegie. The Endowment's first national headquarters was established at No. 2 (now No. 700) Jackson Place, a red brick townhouse with Italianate detail built in 1860. At its benefactor’s direction, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace was located “at the Ear of Congress,” with the aim to “hasten the abolition of war, the foulest blot upon our civilization.” The Endowment occupied the house until 1948, when the national headquarters was moved to New York City.
DC Inventory: March 3, 1979
National Register: September 13, 1974
National Historic Landmark: May 30, 1974
Located within Lafayette Square Historic District