This is the site of important scientific achievements and contributions to primary geophysical research and illustrates the aspirations of prominent leaders in science and public affairs hoping to develop Washington as a center of research.
The Geophysical Laboratory is a notable work of prominent local architects Wood, Donn & Deming and built 1906-1907. Its isolated siting and specialized construction represent significant engineering achievements in meeting the technical needs of the geophysical laboratory. The Mediterranean Revival structure commands a steeply sloped and landscaped site. The structure features stucco facades, a hipped tile roof with bracketed eaves, and polychrome brickwork.
The designation includes the main building, power plant, x-ray laboratory, and the site.
DC Inventory: May 29, 1991
National Register: December 29, 1994