The McLachlen Building is a significant work of noted and socially prominent Washington architect Jules Henri de Sibour, illustrating the influence of the McMillan Commission Plan on the business district. The building was built between 1910 and 1911, and then was altered and renovated between 1988 and 1989. Since then, it has been part of Washington Center.
It served as the home of a family-run bank founded in 1887 as a real estate investment partnership that was associated with local community development.
Nine-stories high, the McLachlen Building has richly ornamented facades of marble and glazed terra cotta, with textured spandrels, a Greek Doric entrance, and an exuberant cornice.
DC Inventory: September 11, 1985
National Register: November 6, 1986