The early owners and residents of these Italianate townhouses were prominent businessmen, instrumental in the economic life of the capital city. The houses were purchased by the Women's Army and Navy League, a charitable organization of socially prominent Washington women, for use as the Soldiers' and Sailors' Club in 1923. This brought the social, political, and military elites of the city and nation to the building. The club served the entertainment and recreation needs of thousands of enlisted servicemen and women each year—a significant civilian response to military needs. Actively operated by an organization of socially prominent women, for half a century, the houses were visited by both prominent national and international political military figures. The houses were converted into a hotel in the late 1980s.
The Morrison and Clark houses were built circa 1865, with bays added to Morrison House in 1867 to differentiate the two properties. Part of the cupola was removed in 1894, a porch was added in 1917, and a side entry was added in 1923. The houses were connected 1930 to create a single larger space. In recent years, the houses have been expanded to create the Morrison-Clark Inn.
DC Inventory: February 22, 1972 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 19, 1991
Within Shaw Historic District