The congregation of the National City Christian Church organized in 1843. A physician and pioneering Stone-Campbell Movement missionary, James Turner Barclay (1807-1874) helped to organize the congregation.
Designed in 1930 by architect John Russell Pope (1874-1937), the National City Christian Church mirrors classic forms adapted from English Georgian churches. However, the Church itself represents the neoclassical style and features a well-proportioned tower. Two additions to the church have been added, one in 1952 and the other in 1985. Stained glass windows in the church commemorate two presidents associated with the denomination, James Garfield and Lyndon Johnson.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
Within Fourteenth Street Historic District