The National Savings and Trust Company is a historic banking building, known also as the National Safe Deposit Company and the National Safe Deposit Savings and Trust Company. The National Safe Deposit Company was chartered in 1867 through an act of Congress as one of the nation’s earliest safety deposit institutions, while the National Savings Bank was chartered in 1870. In 1891, the National Savings and Trust Company formed due to a merger of the National Safe Deposit Company and the National Savings Bank, and later renamed themselves in 1907.
Situated in the financial sector of DC, the banking structure was designed by architect James H. Windrim (1840-1919) in the Queen Anne style in 1888. The building is made of red brick with elaborately detailed copper and terracotta ornamentation. Throughout its history, multiple expansions and interior renovations have occurred to update the building.
Eventually, SunTrust Banks took ownership of the building after it was acquired from Crestar Bank, which had previously bought the structure from the National Savings and Trust Company. A branch of SunTrust Banks currently occupies the building.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: March 16, 1972