The Thomas Nelson Page House (1896) was designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead and White in an early Georgian Revival style. It occupies a prominent corner on New Hampshire Avenue, three blocks northeast of the intersection of that avenue with Dupont Circle, and is an important element in the New Hampshire Avenue Special Street Facade between Dupont Circle and 16th Street, N.W.
Built in 1896, it was designed for writer Thomas Nelson Page.,.and his second wife, Florence Lathrop Field Page by architect Stanford White of McKim. Mead and White of New York. It is a notable and early example of Georgian Revival architecture as introduced by this major American architectural firm in the 1880s and 1890s.
Its design is characterized by a knowledgeable adaptation of the vocabulary of 18th century English-American residential architecture to late 19th century considerations of space, scale and function. It was executed at about the same time as White's work at the University of Virginia. In Washington the Page House is a harbinger of the architectural style based on English American Colonial precedent which was to gain much prominence in succeeding decades. As the home of one of the most noted postbellum literary figures in the South, the Thomas Nelson Page House was a center of Washington literary life in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. With the exception of alterations made by Stanford White in 1902, the house is largely intact.
DC Inventory: June 27, 1974
National Register: September 5, 1975
Within Dupont Circle HD