Designed by Hornblower and Marshall and built between 1896 and 1897 as a private home, the Phillips Collection is a late-19th century red brick building with brownstone and terra cotta trim. The house has several wings; particularly noteworthy is the handsome Renaissance Revival room added in 1907.
Today, Duncan Phillips' excellent collection of modern art and its sources are exhibited in a warm, intimate surrounding. A modern museum building, designed by Wyeth & King, was added in 1959-1960, and the more usual museum spaces of this building contrast with the domestically scaled exhibition galleries in the older building. The Phillips Collection was remodeled in 1989.