The Proctor Alley Livery Stable is a free-standing three-story structure located between 12th, 13th, M and N Streets, N.W. The building was constructed in 1894 as a horse stable and carriage barn for an existing livery business which was headquartered in two buildings which fronted 12th Street. The Proctor Alley Stable served as a horse stable until 1908, at which time it was adapted to use as a parking and service garage for automobiles. The building continues to serve as an automobile service garage.
Proctor Alley Livery Stable was built in 1894, thanks to the design of J.F. Denson, architect. It operated as W.H. Penland & Co. stable from 1894-1897, Mount Vernon Stables from 1898-1908, then was converted to a garage for Terminal Taxicab Company. Permit to Build from 1908 indicates that the conversion including the removal of
the horse runway to the second floor, with a stair installed in its place, and the removal of the horse stalls on the second floor. The stable is 3 stories, red brick, with a utilitarian design with segmental-arched windows including individual horse stall windows. The structure is metal-framed with sanitary concrete flooring.
DC designation: April 21, 1993
National Register listing: December 29, 1994