The Proctor Alley Livery Stable is a rare surviving example of a large-scale commercial livery stable with distinguishing features illustrating state-of-the-art technology for a late-19th century stable facility. The building was constructed in 1894 as a horse stable and carriage barn for an existing livery business which was headquartered in two buildings which fronted 12th Street. From 1894 to 1897, the building operated as the W.H. Penland & Co. stable, then as Mount Vernon Stables from 1898 to 1908, before being converted into a garage for the Terminal Taxicab Company.
DC Inventory: April 21, 1993
National Register: December 29, 1994