This Federal–style brick corner mansion was built circa 1824-1825 by Tench Ringgold, a Marshal of the District of Columbia. Throughout its history, the house has served as a residence for and a host to many important politicians, such as Chief Justice John Marshall and six other members of the Supreme Court who boarded with Ringgold. Prominent owners include Governor Samuel Sprigg of Maryland, Chief Justice Melville Fuller, philanthropist Alice Copely Thaw, and Mrs. Robert Low Bacon, widow of the former New York State representative. The house is also significant as it was built upon three lots originally belonging to Tobias Lear, George Washington’s private secretary. The Ringgold-Carroll House is one of the last residential strongholds in a rapidly developing commercial area in Northwest Washington.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: July 26, 1973