Saint Mark’s Church

Since its establishment in 1867, Saint Mark's Church's congregation has played an important role in the life of Capitol Hill.

The red-brick, High Victorian Saint Mark's Church, designed in 1888 by T. Buckler Chequier, combines Romanesque elements with Gothic verticality and has a particularly distinguished interior with exposed brick walls and timbered roofing. 

Between 1940 and 1950, Saint Mark's faced new problems as members moved to the suburbs and resources dwindled. Many of the newer residents of the Capitol Hill area had no relation to the church at all. In 1954, a number of churchmen determined to revitalize the church, rather than let it be closed. To do so, they turned to the Capitol Hill community seeking ways to serve life as they found it there and so restore the parish's life. Some of their lasting legacies are the still existing ministry to the deaf and other ministries like Head Start, in addition to pastoral counseling.

DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: May 8, 1973
Within Capitol Hill Historic District



3rd & A Streets, SE