This parish was established by Bishop John Carroll in 1794. The initial meeting place of the congregation was a house at the corner of 10th & E streets NW. The congregation worshiped at three other locations until this location, designed by Laurence J. O'Connor, was blessed on November 3, 1872 and, twelve years later on November 2, 1884, the first Mass was celebrated at the new church. The official dedication took place on December 28, 1884. Additions, designed by Wood, Donn & Deming, were completed in 1904.
This Victorian Gothic style church underwent renovations in anticipation of its 1984 bicentennial, yet it still retains most of its historical character, including the baptistery, holy water fonts, and stained glass windows depicting Marian themes and scenes from the life of St. Patrick.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
Within Downtown Historic District