Although the walls of the present church date. from 1775, the church has undergone a number of changes throughout its history. The first church on the site was a frame structure erected in 1719. This church was replaced with a brick structure in 1775. Until 1868, when the north wall was torn down and the church re modeled, the church was rectangular in shape with two large doors oh the west side, and a gallery on the interior (which was later removed). Reconstruction drawings of the west facade prior to 1868 show a facade that is three bays wide with three round-headed windows on the second floor (probably to light the gallery) and a small square window in the center of the first story, flanked on each side by a rectangular, two-leaf door with a rectangular fan light.
The present church, which was rebuilt after it was damaged by fire in 1921 is Georgian in character, with a hipped roof and Flemish bond red brick walls. St. Paul's is located in Rock Creek Cemetery, the oldest burial ground in the District of Columbia, established in 1719.
The history of the church can be traced back to the early-18th century when services were first held on the site in 1712; the first church was built in 1719. St. Paul's originally served as the parish of Prince George's Parish which at that time included the area between the Potomac and the Patuxent Rivers, the northeast fork of the Eastern Branch and from there extended westward indefinitely. As the earliest church in the District of Columbia.
St. Paul's has contributed "significantly to the religious and educational life of the District. The present edifice, reconstructed after the fire of 1921, has the original walls of the late 18th century church and preserves the colonial feeling of the original.
Built: 1775; remodeled: 1864; burned & restored: 1921
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 16, 1972