The Sears, Roebuck and Company Department Store is the largest structure in Tenleytown's commercial area, which includes churches, schools, and public buildings. Built between 1940 and 1941, the store was designed by the Sears company's chief architect John Stokes Redden and store planner John G. Raben. This Sears building ranks among the most innovative stores realized during the seminal period of development by a company that has had significant impact on 20th-century retailing practices in the United States.
The Wisconsin Avenue Sears is significant as a product of mid-20th-century innovations in department store design, aimed at adapting retail merchandising to an increasingly mobile and suburban population. National retailer Sears, Roebuck & Company pioneered many of these changes with remarkable success, offering a wide range of well-made practical goods to the middle class.
DC Inventory: May 25, 1995
National Register: February 16, 1996