Built in the Italian Renaissance Revival style for Emily J. Wilkins (widow of Beriah Wilkins, U.S. Congressman and Washington Post publisher), this lavish Beaux Arts mansion served as a family home and elegant space for high-society parties and events. Designed by Jules Henri de Sibour, the city's most successful Beaux Arts architect, the home has a 16th century Italian facade, Corinthian eaves, exposed brick, and arched doorways. The elaborate interior ornamentation, a composite of 17th century English styles such as Jacobean and Tudor, is best exemplified by its fine oak staircase pierced by carved panels and the plaster-work of its drawing room.
In 1910, the house was deeded to the Wilkin's son, John F. Wilkins, a socially prominent banker and businessman. The home transitioned from family residence into diplomatic service as the Australian Embassy occupied the house from 1947-1969.
In 1973, the Peruvian Chancery took over occupancy of the building and remains in residence today.
DC Inventory: February 22, 1972 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)