The site, which contains Lincoln Cottage (President Lincoln and Soldiers’ Home National Monument), was built as a private country residence known as Corn Rigs between 1842 and 1843. Subsequently, the site has served as a retreat for at least four U.S. presidents and a retirement home for generations of American veterans since the United States government purchased it in 1851. The property has enjoyed a number of different names: Corn Rigs, the Military Asylum, the Soldiers' Home, Anderson Cottage, and now the President Lincoln and Soldiers' Home National Monument, also known as President Lincoln's Cottage. Each name marks an important era in the history of the site.
The four oldest buildings and their immediate grounds comprise the United States Military Asylum as originally developed, and as it existed as the Soldier’s Home during Lincoln’s residency. The three buildings constructed for the asylum were designed by Lieutenant Barton Stone Alexander in a Romanesque Revival style.
This National Historic Site is within the Armed Forces Retirement Home Historic District.
DC Inventory: March 3, 1979
National Register: February 11, 1974
National Historic Landmark: November 7, 1973