Twin Oaks is an estate consisting of seventeen acres of rolling lawn and wooded areas, a large frame summer house and several smaller dwellings. The driveway winds up the hill to the west of the house affording views across the gently sloping lawn to Hubbard's summer home which has a commanding presence astride the top of the hill. The driveway passes to the west of the house and then forms a circular approach to the tree shaded north entrance to the house. From the circular drive there is a service road which exits down the wooded hill to Macomb Street on the north.
Twin Oaks, built in 1888, is one of the earliest extant examples of Georgian Revival architecture in this country, and is an excellent and notable example of this style. Twin Oaks is the only remaining example of a New England frame summer house in Washington, D. C. Twin Oaks was built by Gardiner Greene Hubbard, who made a significant contribution to the development of Washington and the United States through his establishment of the National Geographic Society and his financial support of Alexander Graham Bell which led to the invention and widespread distribution of the telephone.
Built 1888 (Francis Allen, architect)
DC Inventory: May 18, 1983
National Register: February 5, 1986