Standing at the corner of G and 9th streets NW in the heart of the city, the Victor Building’s construction made it even more convenient for the original owner, Victor Evans, to complete his work. One of the preeminent patent attorneys in the country, Evans had the Victor Building constructed right next to the Old Patent Office. A Renaissance Revival style building, the Victor Building served as Evans’s office for over 20 years until his death in 1931.
The building was completed in 1909, but shortly after, in 1911, Evans expanded the building. Both the original building and its addition were designed by well-known architect Appleton P. Clark. In 1925, the building gained another addition, but this time Evans hired Waddy B. Wood, another influential architect, to design the third expansion.
Evans had an impressive career as a patent attorney, but he also held interests outside of the law, including an extensive collection of Native American artifacts and exotic animals. His interest in artifacts led him to become an advocate and attorney for Native American tribes, while his passion for animals led him to become a major contributor to the Smithsonian National Zoo. His third hobby, aviation, came from his work as a patent attorney. He became the president of the Rex Smith Aeroplane Company of Washington, in addition to being a major financial contributor to their programs.
DC Inventory: April 15, 1992