Washington Canoe Club
The Washington Canoe Club has been a distinctive part of the waterfront view of DC from Virginia since 1905.
The Washington Canoe Club, constructed in 1905 for the newly founded club of the same name, is an excellent example of shingle style architecture. The two-story frame building faces south onto the Potomac River and is designed to be seen from the river and opposite shore line. Despite damage caused by numerous floods, ice jams, and Corps of Engineers projects, the Washington Canoe Club retains its original architectural character. Primary interior spaces like the grill room, ballroom, and board room are virtually unchanged.
While the building has been altered, it retains its historic architectural character, and it remains occupied by the organization that built it.
DC Inventory: January 23, 1973 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 19, 1991
Within Georgetown Historic District and Potomac Gorge