Following a petition by the Northeastern Citizens' Suburban Association, Old Engine Company No. 26 formed in 1908 for better fire protection for the new Langdon neighborhood. Because the firehouse served a suburban area beyond the city's fire hydrant system, the firehouse received a chemical engine and became known as Chemical Company No. 3.
Designed by A.B. Mullett & Sons, Old Engine Company No. 26 is the most domestic of the city's firehouse designs—a half-timbered, sixteenth century English manor house, with modifications to accommodate fire equipment.
In 1940, Old Engine Company No. 26 moved in with Truck Company No. 15 at 1340 Rhode Island Avenue NE, when the restructuring of the fire department led to the disposal of redundant stations. After, the city proposed to adapt the Old Engine Company No. 26 building into a library, but the Rhode Island Avenue Citizens' Association suggested a community center. Instead, the building sold to the highest bidder. Old Engine Company No. 26 sold again to a church, which currently occupies the building.
DC Inventory: June 23, 2005
National Register: August 8, 2007