The Western Union Telegraph Company Tenley Radio Terminal is a landmark in engineering history. Built between 1945 and 1947, it served as a transmission and receiving station in an experimental radio relay triangle connecting New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Pittsburgh, inaugurating the first use of microwave radio for commercial communications. The system was an experimental one, intended to replace a century-old wire telegraphy network, and it continued in use for national security communications during the Cold War.
Designed by architect Leon Chatelain, Jr., the terminal is an early and rare example of an architect-designed transmission tower, and its image was used in Western Union advertising as the icon for a modern communications system. The building owes something to lingering Art Deco and Moderne styles of the '40s and '50s, but its restraint of detail suggests its utilitarian nature. The installation also includes a two-level poured-in-place concrete battery and engine room.
DC Inventory: May 22, 2008
National Register: May 21, 2004