Engine Company No. 31

Built in 1930 to harmonize with nearby houses, this was among the new generation of modern fire stations built for motorized apparatus.

The one-story was design suited to the spacious new suburbs where buildings were lower and land more affordable. Ground level sleeping quarters also obviated the need for fire poles and protected the men from rising truck fumes. Engine 31 incorporated two innovations: “automatic” electric vehicle doors and a warning light in place of a siren to warn motorists of departing apparatus. Its architecture reflects the influence of the Commission of Fine Arts, which promoted the Colonial Revival style for local public buildings. Unfortunately, its neoclassical steeple, one of the visual landmarks of Chevy Chase, was removed decades later.

Nominated by the Capitol Fire Museum, and designated on January 27, 2011.

Images

Map

4930 Connecticut Avenue, NW