The Walde-Carter House is located in the middle of the block on the west side of 48th Street in the neighborhood of the American University Park. It is one of seventeen known residences built in the initial phase of development (1896-1911) of the American University Park subdivision. The house is named for its longest-term owner, Martha Walde-Carter who lived in the house from 1942 until her death in 1988.
Built in 1899, the late Victorian-era house was constructed by local Tenleytown architect and builder Thomas J. Giles. The house is a two-story, wood-frame building, designed in a transitional style between Queen Anne and American foursquare.
DC Inventory: March 24, 2011