Established in 1883, Bunker Hill’s first building, a one-room brick structure, was used to educate white students before being reassigned to the city’s “colored” school division. A slightly larger structure erected in 1911 quickly proved inadequate for the growing Michigan Park community. After years of advocacy and a switch back to the segregated white division of the District’s schools in 1926, the current school was erected in stages through funding provided by the New Deal.
Built in the late 1920s to the mid-1940s, "extensible" schools were designed so that building additions could be added on incrementally as the need arose. The first section of the school was completed in 1940, and subsequent additions were made through the 1960s.
The Colonial Revival building exemplifies the chosen style of school architecture then mandated by the office of the Municipal Architect, which oversaw the city’s school construction. Accomplished local architect Arthur B. Heaton worked with the office in executing Bunker Hill’s design.
Today, the Bunker Hill School building remains in operation as part of the Brookland Education Campus.
DC Inventory: April 26, 2012
National Register: May 5, 2014